Who does Village Leadership Academy enroll?
- Village Leadership Academy enrolls families committed to advancing social justice ideals and promoting youth leadership through academic rigor and praxis.
How do we apply?
- Complete the online admissions application, submit student transcripts, attend an open house admissions event, and schedule and attend a family interview/student assessment. Please note, there is non-refundable $75 application fee.
Will my child be interviewed or assessed?
- Yes! Part of the VLA admissions process involves a family interview in addition to a math and reading diagnostic evaluation for incoming students. This assessment will occur at the time of the family interview.
Can we visit a classroom?
- Yes! We love visitors. Schedule a 30-60 minute classroom visit anytime. Classroom visits provide families with the opportunity to experience VLA’s learning environment, student-teacher interactions, and academic rigor.
- If your child is looking for a more in depth look at the school, they can participate in a shadow day. This is an opportunity for your child to spend a day in the class they will potentially join. Your child will have the chance to meet their teacher, observe classroom activities, and experience the energy of the school.
How much is tuition?
- Tuition is $8,500 for the 2017-2018 academic school year. Tuition can be paid in full or divided into 10-monthly installments due on the 1st of each month.
Does Village Leadership Academy have Financial Aid?
- VLA provides financial aid packages to eligible families. Please note returning students have priority for financial aid packages.
When is the application deadline?
- The priority deadline for admissions is January 15th. Thereafter, applications for admissions are accepted on a rolling basis.
When will we be notified about an admission deadline?
- Admission decisions for the upcoming school year will be mailed by March 15th.
Is there a volunteer and/or fundraising commitment for families?
- Indeed! Because it truly does take a village to raise a healthy child, each family is required to volunteer 12 hours during the academic school year and raise an additional $250 to support and enrich our diverse, extensive programming.
When does the school year begin?
- The academic school year for K-8th begins on the Tuesday after Labor Day and typically continues through the third week of June.
Are there before and after school programs?
- Yes! At no additional cost to families, students may arrive at Village Leadership Academy as early as 7:00 a.m. and depart as late at 6:00 p.m.
- The academic school day runs from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Students participate in after school clubs such as Lego Robotics, Dance, Graphic Design, Orchestra, Cooking, Coding, and Cross Country from 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- A light supper is served to students who are still on campus at 4:30 p.m. Homework hour is from 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Do you provide lunch?
- Yes! In fact, VLA provides students with three fresh, prepared-in-house meals a day–breakfast, lunch, and a light supper.
Is there a summer program?
- Yes! Village Leadership Academy hosts the Chicago Explorers Summer Camp, a 6-8 week summer program that combines academics and extracurricular activities.
Does VLA offer bus service?
- We offer bus service from It Takes a Village (ITAV) Preschool at 4020 W. Division Street for students Monday through Friday. Buses pick students up from the ITAV site in the morning at 7:00 a.m. and return them to the site at 5:30 p.m.