Who does Village Leadership Academy enroll?
- Village Leadership Academy enrolls families committed to advancing social justice ideals and promoting youth leadership through academic rigor and praxis.
How do we apply?
- Complete the online application, submit student transcripts, attend an open house or admissions event, schedule and attend a parent interview and student assessment. Please note there is non-refundable $75 assessment fee.
Will my child be interviewed or assessed?
- Part of the VLA admissions process involves a parent interview in addition to a math and reading diagnostic assessment for incoming students. We recommend the student assessment and the parent interview be scheduled for the same day.
Can we visit a classroom?
- Yes! We love visitors. Parents have the opportunity to visit classrooms during tours. Classroom visits provide families with the opportunity to experience VLA’s learning environment, student-teacher interactions, and academic rigor.
- If your child is looking for a more in depth look at the school, they can participate in a Shadow Day. This is an opportunity for your child to spend a day in the class they will potentially join. Your child will have the chance to meet VLA teachers, observe classroom activities, and experience the energy of the school.
- Shadow Days in 2017 are October 24th, November 28th and December 13th from 9:00 a.m. – 2:05 p.m.
How much is tuition?
- Tuition is $9,000 for the 2018-2019 academic school year (price includes after school costs). Tuition can be paid in full or divided into 10-monthly installments due on the 1st of each month starting in July.
Does Village Leadership Academy have Financial Aid?
- Yes. Village Leadership Academy encourages families to apply for need based financial aid to help supplement the cost of tuition. We also accept Illinois Action for Children.
When is the application deadline?
- The priority deadline for admissions is January 15th. Thereafter, applications for admissions are accepted on a rolling basis.
When will we be notified about an admission deadline?
- Admission decisions for the upcoming school year will be mailed by February 15th.
How many students attend Village Leadership Academy?
- There are 190 students enrolled at Village Leadership Academy for the 2017-2018 school year.
Do Village Leadership Academy students wear uniforms?
- Yes! All students are required to wear a Village Leadership Academy uniform. Uniforms can be purchased through the online store at http://villageleadershipacademy.epluno.com/.
Does Village Leadership Academy offer a Physical Education Program?
- Yes! All VLA students have at least 90 minutes of P.E. every week and are required to wear the VLA P.E. uniform (available on the online uniform store). All middle school students run to the Roosevelt University Recreation Center throughout the entire school year for P.E.
What is the student-teacher ratio?
- The student-teacher ratio is 10:1 including all homeroom teachers, teacher assistants, and co-curricular instructors.
Is there a volunteer and/or fundraising commitment for families?
- Indeed! Because it truly does take a village to raise a healthy child, each family is required to volunteer 12 hours during the academic school year and raise an additional $250 to support and enrich our diverse, extensive programming.
When does the school year begin?
- The academic school year for K-8th begins on the Tuesday after Labor Day and typically continues through the third week of June.
Are there before and after school programs?
- Yes! At no additional cost to families, students may arrive at Village Leadership Academy as early as 6:30 a.m. for before care.
- The academic school day runs from 8:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Students can participate in after school clubs such as Lego Robotics, Dance, Graphic Design, Orchestra, Cooking, Coding, and Cross Country from 3:45 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- A snack is served to students who are still on campus at 4:30 p.m. and homework hour is from 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Do you provide lunch?
- Yes! VLA provides students with breakfast from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 am and lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. All meals are freshly prepared in-house everyday.
Is there a summer program?
- Yes! Village Leadership Academy hosts the Chicago Explorers Summer Camp, a 6-8 week summer program that combines academics and extracurricular activities.
Does VLA offer bus service?
- For an additional cost, we offer bus service from It Takes a Village (ITAV) Preschool at 4020 W. Division St. for students Monday through Friday. Buses pick students up from the ITAV site in the morning at 7:15 a.m. and return them to the site at 5:30 p.m.